Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Whitesnake on Frontiers
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Whitesnake on Frontiers
James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
jamesgade.co.uk
Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
With Frontiers announcing they've signed Whitesnake to make a new album, I'm delighted with the news. I thought 'Good To Be Bad' was great, but I'm in the camp where I've liked every Whitesnake album. What does everyone else think? I know there are still some people out there who preferred the Moody-Marsden era?

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
wolf 359

Groupie
graphgraph
Re:Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
A great signing for Frontiers and like you James I have liked all of the Whitesnake albums - except one always hated Slip Of The Tounge. Just hope that Mr. C is getting that vocal coaching he has talked about and resting his voice.

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re:Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Hated 'Slip Of The Tongue'?!? Wash your mouth our sir! That said, I'm probably a little biased because that was the first Whitesnake album I ever heard, and I was blown away by Coverdale, Steve Vai's guitar work, and the genral awesome sound after being raised on the more lightweight Bon Jovi.

wolf 359

Groupie
graphgraph
James I will go back and give it another listen as it's many years since I last played it, maybe my opinion will have changed, who knows.

By the way really enjoyed your interview with Brian Howe in the new issue of Fireworks, a great read.

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
I thought there was some great stuff on that record - I know Steve Vai and the style wasn't to the old schoolers taste how preferred the bluesy era, but I thought it was a good record for when it was issued and unfairly labelled a disappointment compared to 1987, especially when it sold about 4 million copies.

Many thanks for the kind word about Brian Howe - I've been a fan of his for years and he turned out to be a great laugh, which I hope was apparent in the article. And I love his new record - a long time to wait, but worth it!

darkblue

Support Act
graphgraph
Re:Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Sorry James, but I'm also of the opinion that Slip Of The Tongue is a stinker! I really didn't think that Vai understood how to get the best out of Coverdale to be honest.

Having said that where you start with a band is always an important era so I can understand your fondness for it. I also have to admit that I do fall into the Moody/Marsden category where I far prefer the 'Snakes output pre 1987. I do like 1987, however if I am going to reach for a Whitesnake record (yes I still have them on vinyl) then it is going to be one of the earlier discs almost every time.

I too would like to congratulate on the Howe interview, it's one of the most candid conversations I've seen for quite some time and I was hugely entertained by it. The biggest compliment I can give an article is that it inspired me to dig out some music by the artist and play it for the first time in ages and your interview did exactly that. I've been blasting Howe era Bad Company for the last few days and loving every second of it!! A job well done.

wolf 359

Groupie
graphgraph
Talking about Brian Howe, a lot of very nice parcels have turned up and I'm at this very moment blasting out 'Circus Bar', then it's the new Giant, followed by N.O.W, then YotangoR (thank you Mr Smith), Sven Larrson, Sedona, and finally Liberty and Justice. That's my weekend sorted.
Oh and 'There's This Girl' just came on what a f**king song.

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
darkblue wrote:
Sorry James, but I'm also of the opinion that Slip Of The Tongue is a stinker! I really didn't think that Vai understood how to get the best out of Coverdale to be honest.

Having said that where you start with a band is always an important era so I can understand your fondness for it. I also have to admit that I do fall into the Moody/Marsden category where I far prefer the 'Snakes output pre 1987. I do like 1987, however if I am going to reach for a Whitesnake record (yes I still have them on vinyl) then it is going to be one of the earlier discs almost every time.

I too would like to congratulate on the Howe interview, it's one of the most candid conversations I've seen for quite some time and I was hugely entertained by it. The biggest compliment I can give an article is that it inspired me to dig out some music by the artist and play it for the first time in ages and your interview did exactly that. I've been blasting Howe era Bad Company for the last few days and loving every second of it!! A job well done.

I freely admit I'm weird in my taste with Whitesnake. The two albums of theirs I got into first were "Slip..." and "Come And Get It" - two more different records you'd do well to find! But I still play "Trouble" frequently and liked both the pre-Whitesnake Coverdale solo disks. I'm just a sucker for all things Dave.

Thank you for such kind words about the interview. I'm just a fan who is lucky enough to get to ask questions, and Brian was very open with his answers. I loved the Howe era Bad Company (still do) and I ended up playing them all through again both before and after the interview. And the fact that his new CD rocks is even better.

And yeah, 'There's This Girl' is classic Howe. More of that please Brian!

darkblue

Support Act
graphgraph
Re:Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
I have to say I'm a Coverdale sucker as well (that didn't come out too goos! ). I like every 'Snake album, although Slip Of... and Restless Heart still don't really work for me.

I actually think his solo album Into The Light is phenomenal and I wish he had stayed with this bluesy style as it is far more suited to his vocal range these days.

Thank you for such kind words about the interview. I'm just a fan who is lucky enough to get to ask questions, and Brian was very open with his answers. I loved the Howe era Bad Company (still do) and I ended up playing them all through again both before and after the interview. And the fact that his new CD rocks is even better.

I've recently been lucky enough to pose a few questions to some of my musical heroes (MArillion and Wildhearts for Fireworks, Kip Winger for Sea of Tranquility) and know how hard it is to make the interviews interesting and worthwhile. So credit where it's due sir!

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re:Whitesnake on Frontiers 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I thought Restless Heart was an ok album, but I think he should have left 'Stay With Me' alone. It was unfair for the record company to call it a Whitesnake album as that was never the intention and the sound was nothing like Whitesnake. It was more a precursor to 'Into the Light', which was very good. 'Good To Be Bad' is the first proper Whitesnake record since 'Slip Of The Tongue', and I think all of the tracks on there are better than the four Doug and David wrote for the live album.

I still really like the first two Coverdale solo albums, there's some real gems on there - 'Only My Soul' is fantastic, and it's great to hear him doing stuff with strings and horns on there instead of his "Tarzan" impression as he calls it!

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site