Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Hi-Fi
wolf 359

Groupie
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Hi-Fi 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
Kind of a question about hi-fi. Just been reading Fireworks and was interested in what Brian Howe and his producer had to say about today's music listening audience. Basically they didn't think that you had to make an album sound as good as it should because most people don't have descent stereo equipment these days. The producer is convinced that people listen to albums on their I-Pods and have docking systems at home rather than proper hi-fi set up's.
I think that depends on the generation of the person listening to the muisc, I have both, an mp3 player for when I'm out and about and a hi-fi for home, but I'm of the older persuasion. Do the younger music fans really not care about how their muisc sounds, as long as they can hear it ?. I'm not so sure a bad sound is a bad sound no matter what it's played on.
Over to the youngsters on this forum what do you prefer I-Pods or a good stero system.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re: Hi-Fi 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
As I mentioned in the article, I'm something of a rarity because I have a proper CD players. My girlfriend, best mate, my cousin, they're all in their late twenties / early thirties and they all have speakers rigged up to their computer and play everything through iTunes. For some they say it's convenience, others it's a space issue of having everything on a hard drive instead of racks of CDs (like I've got). But as good as mp3s are, they aren't as good as the sound of a CD, and I'm a sucker for the packaging, booklet etc that goes with a record. I don't want a soulless mp3, I want the full thing. A lot of people I know don't listen to the records as albums either - they cherry pick songs for their iPods.

My iPod is fantastic for travelling, but I always pick my stereo over my Mac for listening. My promo for Brian Howe's album was a download from Frontiers. I'm a big fan of Brian and I really liked the record, so I will buy the CD anyway for the simple fact that I want to support the artist, and I want to own the record. I like something tangible, and I have a lot of autographed records. Good luck getting an mp3 autographed!

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
wolf 359

Groupie
graphgraph
Re: Hi-Fi 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
You Sir are a man after my own heart. Mp3 for convenience a proper stereo for vinyl and CD's. Can't understand why you would want to listen to an inferior quality product, rather than how it should really sound.
And like you James I always buy whatever I get promo wise because again like you I'm a sucker for the packaging, especially digi-packs, though that's another argument altogether.

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re: Hi-Fi 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
Precsiely! I don't consider it an inconvenience to buy a record whether I get the promo or not. If I didn't get the promo, I'd be buying it anyway. So I take the promos because I'm lucky and can get to hear stuff early, and then I show my support by buying the CD. When they cost around a tenner, I don't consider that a particularly bank busting price.

There have been some rare occasions when I've been furnished with a promo that has been exactly like I would buy in the shop, in which case I've been very fortunate, but more often than not it's a paper sleeve or an mp3, and as a music lover, that just won't do for my collection. We all have vices and that's one of mine!

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site