Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Obscure gems
James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
jamesgade.co.uk
Re:Obscure gems 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 2
That's a fair point - if you have always been into vinyl then that's great. I used to borrow LPs from my dad to play, but my own collection actually started with tapes because all the kids at college were going around with Walkmans and about ten tapes. I remember my dad having a long rack full of vinyl, and he liked Deep Purple. There was a shop at the top of our street that was a second hand record store, and they had 'Slaves And Masters' on CD. My dad didn't have that one and my brother and I bought him it for his birthday. That and Queen's Greatest Hits II were the first two CD's in my family household. I thought CDs were amazing, no needle, no scratching, and like I said, the cool booklet inside. That Christmas I asked for my own stereo because all I had was a mini tape deck/radio system. I got one of those that did CD, vinyl and tape. But I quickly fobbed tape off in favour of the other two formats, and CD won me over.

I don't use my iPod for general listening as I stated in another thread, but I find it absolutely invaluable when travelling. I've got 441 albums on mine, plus three or four films and some of my favourite music videos. And I bought some great headphones for them, not the cheap pap Apple supply... they make awesome players, but shite headphones! To have all that that on something the size of an old cassette tape soon whiles away the three hours on a train if I'm going to somewhere like London!

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Buz

8-track
graphgraph
Re:Obscure gems 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
My choices for obscure gems would be:

Roger Daltrey - Rocks In The Head. If you like The Who, then you should love this! It's Roger's most rocking solo album, and features some great songs and vocals. It came out in 1992, but has been reissued on CD within the last couple of years, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Rob Tyner - Blood Brothers. Rob Tyner was the lead singer of The MC5 back in the late '60's/early '70's, and this album was recorded in 1991, just before his untimely death. It's pretty much great melodic/hard rock from start to finish. No ballads, and there's a rocked of version of The Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock And Roll".

David Lee Roth - DLR Band. This one came out in 1998, and it seems hardly anyone knows it even exists! It features 14 great songs, which put right a lot of the problems found on "Your Filthy Little Mouth".

There's a new Sheriff in town, and his name is Buz Gaden.
James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re:Obscure gems 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 2
I definitely agree on DLR Band. Superb album from Diamond Dave, and I was horrified by the amount of people I know who are Roth "fans" and had never heard of the album, let alone owned it! I'm doubting that will be the case on this board, because all the people who've joined so far seem to be really clued up. I've already added stuff to my list of things to check out from the posts on this forum.

Last Edit: 2010/03/14 19:09 By James Gaden.
"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site