Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Bookmarked link to Rocktopia
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Bookmarked link to Rocktopia
JackCane

Groupie
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Hull, E.Yorkshire, UK Birthday: 03/01
Bookmarked link to Rocktopia 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
Any idea why i get the following message when i use the bookmark i created to get here ?

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

there is a button to try again & when i click that i do get here but not on first try using the bookmark, i`ve double checked that the location in the bookmark is correct & it is

rocktopia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=85

any ideas ?

Be Excellent To Each Other & Party On Dudes
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
Gender: Male Transistor Limited Location: Austria - Great Britain Birthday: 04/01
Re:Bookmarked link to Rocktopia 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 20
Hi JackCane,

This seems to be a problem with some versions of Firefox that occurs on a lot of other websites, too (some people even have this problem with Google.com !). There's a thread on the official Mozilla Firefox developer board dealing with the exact same problem you were describing.

Here are two things that *may* work:

1) Try clearing the browser cache (Ctrl + F5), and restart Firefox. This has helped some people; or (and this is a bit more tricky) ...

2) change the settings under "View" -> "Character Encoding" -> "Auto-detect" from "off" to "universal"

If we find a better solution we'll post it here.

Could other members using Firefox please let us know if there are any problems displaying the site?

Many thanks,

Berny

Rocktopia - The only melodic rock site that goes to 11!
darkblue

Support Act
graphgraph
Re:Bookmarked link to Rocktopia 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
No problems viwing or using my bookmark, however I got the same message when trying to follow the link in my email letting me know there was a new post on one of the threads.

JackCane

Groupie
graphgraph
Ok chose the 2nd option & it seems to be working ok, but what i found previously was that once i`d visited the site if i used my bookmark the next time (in a short space of time) it would work, so i guess i`ll have to wait a while to see if it is really fixed

thanks for the help

Jack

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
Gender: Male Transistor Limited Location: Austria - Great Britain Birthday: 04/01
darkblue wrote:
No problems viwing or using my bookmark, however I got the same message when trying to follow the link in my email letting me know there was a new post on one of the threads.

How annoying!
Hopefully the Firefox team will release an update, soon. Have you tried changing the "Character Encoding" settings?

Best regards,

Berny

JackCane

Groupie
graphgraph
Problem is still there for me guess it`s just a firefox issue then, i can live with it tho

darkblue

Support Act
graphgraph
I've got the issue with my bookmark as well now.

I've tried setting to Universal, so lets see how that goes. Doesn't sound hopeful though.

The last couple of Firefox updates seem to have made my browsing harder, not easier. Leave it alone!! I would change, but ironically some of the forums I post on only let me sign in IF I use Firefox. Basically I can't bloody win!

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
darkblue wrote:
Basically I can't bloody win!

Never give up, never surrender!

The browser that seems to be the most compatible one (and - at the same time - the less known option by far) is Opera. It works incredibly well on both PCs and Macs. I can even access Rocktopia from my smartphone using Opera Mini. Overall, Opera is a VERY good alternative (if not the best).
It also includes handy features such as an eMail program, a download manager, widgets, etc. ... and it's fast, too!

Please visit Opera.com to download a free copy.

As with all things 'new', it will take some time to get used to, but I think it's well worth the effort!

Last Edit: 2010/03/16 21:19 By Berny.
darkblue

Support Act
graphgraph
I've just rebuilt my laptop after a major malware issue, so my appetite for changing things is extremely low right now.

Maybe in a few days when it's more fun being on my laptop again!

Thanks for the tip though. Appreciated.

James Gaden

Admin
graphgraph
jamesgade.co.uk
Re:Bookmarked link to Rocktopia 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2
I sit here smugly on my Mac, smirking at PC users while I'm using Safari and encountering no problems, but I also have Firefox and have noticed that many of the updates serve no obvious purpose - must be a lot of "under the hood" tinkering which doesn't seem to be helping many people. I tried Opera after Berny mentioned it and must admit it is fast and very easy... Safari is still my first choice, but having both Opera and Firefox in reserve is useful. I'm quite surprised more people aren't trying Opera... maybe a lot of it is fear of changing over in case it goes wrong!

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site